$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


PM May: Britain Open to ‘Different Relationship’ With Russia

Prime Minister Theresa May will say on Monday Britain is “open to a different relationship” with Russia if Moscow takes a new path and stops “attacks” that undermine international treaties and security.

Just a year ago, May used her annual speech at the Lord Mayor’s Banquet to accuse Moscow of military aggression and of meddling in elections, some of her strongest criticism even before the poisoning of a former Russian spy in Salisbury.

This year, she will tell London’s financial center that the action taken since – including the largest ever coordinated expulsion of Russian intelligence officers – has deepened her belief in a “collective response” to such threats.

“We will continue to show our willingness to act, as a community of nations, to stand up for the rules around the world,” May will say, according to excerpts of her speech.

Describing evolving threats, May will say the past year, including Salisbury, has “shown that while the challenge is real, so is the collective resolve of likeminded partners to defend our values, our democracies, and our people.”

“But, as I also said a year ago, this is not the relationship with Russia that we want … We remain open to a different relationship – one where Russia desists from these attacks that undermine international treaties and international security,” she will say.

“And we hope that the Russian state chooses to take this path. If it does, we will respond in kind.”

May has said often that Britain’s decision to leave the European Union does not mean a retreat into isolationism, and her words again seem aimed at underlining London’s desire to play a weighty role in the world.

But with no mention of Brexit in the speech excerpts, she may be hoping to avoid going into too much detail of Britain’s negotiations to leave the EU, which have split her cabinet, her Conservative Party and Britain’s parliament.

 

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


Official: Trump, Erdogan Discuss Khashoggi Response

U.S. President Donald Trump and his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, discussed how to respond to the killing last month of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a White House official said on Sunday.

The conversation took place during a Saturday dinner with heads of state and government gathered in Paris to mark the World War I Armistice centenary.

Khashoggi, a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed at the kingdom’s Istanbul consulate by a team sent from Riyadh. Saudi authorities have acknowledged that the killing was premeditated, but his body has not been found.

Erdogan disclosed on Saturday that audio recordings of the killing had been given to the U.S., French, German and British governments, adding that the operation had been ordered at the “highest levels” of the Saudi government.

Trump expects to form a “stronger opinion” by this coming week on Khashoggi’s killing and Washington’s response, he said last Wednesday – adding that he was working with Congress, Turkey and Saudi Arabia to establish who bore responsibility.

In a phone call with the crown prince on Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo “emphasized that the United States will hold all of those involved in the killing of Jamal Khashoggi accountable, and that Saudi Arabia must do the same,” the State Department said in a statement.

 

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


У Запоріжжі відбулася акція за нові мости через Дніпро

У Запоріжжі, на острові Хортиця на естакаді недобудованого мосту через Дніпро, що веде з Хортиці на лівий берег Дніпра, відбулася акція за нові мости в місті. Захід пройшов у вигляді музичного флешмобу, під час якого декілька сотень запорожців заспівали пісню «Океану Ельзи». До акції долучились як професійні музиканти, так і пересічні городяни.

За словами організатора заходу, таким чином вони разом з учасниками флешмобу намагаються привернути громадськості та влади в Україні до багаторічної проблеми транспортного сполучення через Дніпро, що існує в Запоріжжі.

«Починалось усе дуже просто. Ми робимо музичний проект тут у Запоріжжі. Я подумав якось, що було б чудово, дивлячись на приклад інших міст, зібрати в одному місці у Запоріжжі, припустімо, 100 гітаристів і зіграти якусь класну мелодію. І думаю: яке ж місце, де ж зібратися? А потім дивлюсь – чому не зробити два в одному: зібратися в одному місці, зіграти якусь прикольну мелодію великим ансамблем і привернути до цього місця максимум уваги. Я подумав, що найліпше підходить саме це місце, цей недобуд, що вже 14 років нависає і дає надію мешканцям Хортицького району (район Запоріжжя, розташований на правому березі Дніпра; основна ж частина міста – на лівому березі – ред.). Я намагався знайти хоча б одну відповідну відому ритмічну пісню про мости, але її нема. І ми обрали, що саме ця пісня ритмічна, і «Більшого вимагай» Вакарчука підходить сюди якнайкраще», – розповів організатор акції на недобудованих мостах Василь Бушаров.

Зведення нового мостового переходу через Дніпро в Запоріжжі триває з 2004 року. Воно неодноразово припинялись через проблеми з фінансуванням. Востаннє будівельні роботи було поновлено у 2016 році, коли було досягнуто домовленості про спільне фінансування робіт із державного та місцевого бюджетів. Того ж року прем’єр-міністр України Володимир Гройсман пообіцяв щорічно надавати півмільярда гривень із держбюджету на зведення мостів у Запоріжжі. Але з кінця 2017 року практично всі роботи на будівництві мостів були припинені, відповідно до припису Державної архітектурно-будівельної інспекції України, через невідповідності в проектних документах. Наразі ця документація проходить необхідні експертизи і погодження.

На території Запорізької області існує лише два мостові переходи через Дніпро, які розташовані в міській зоні Запоріжжя – дамба ДніпроГЕСу та мости Преображенського, що йдуть через Хортицю. Найближчі до них мости розташовані в сусідньому обласному центрі Дніпрі.

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


Oman Oil Minister: Majority of OPEC and its Allies Support Cut

A majority of OPEC and allied oil exporters support a cut in the global supply of crude, Oman Oil Minister Mohammed bin Hamad al-Rumhi said on Sunday.

“Many of us share this view,” the minister said when asked about the need for a cut. Asked if it could amount to 500,000 or one million barrels per day, he replied: “I think it is unfair for me to throw numbers now.”

He was speaking in Abu Dhabi where an oil market monitoring committee was held on Sunday, attended by top exporters Saudi Arabia and Russia.

“We need a consensus,” he said, indicating that non-OPEC Russia would need to approve any decision. Oman is also not a member of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries.

Saudi Arabia is discussing a proposal to cut oil output by up to 1 million barrels per day by OPEC and its allies, two sources close to the discussions told Reuters on Sunday.

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


Topless Female Protesters Approach Trump Motorcade in Paris

French police arrested two topless female protesters Sunday on the Champs-Elysees where France was holding a ceremony marking the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

One of the women was apprehended within just a few meters of the motorcade of U.S. President Donald Trump as it approached the site. She had the words “Fake Peacemaker” written across her chest.

Femen, the radical feminist activist group, based in Paris, appeared to take responsibility for the demonstration.

Femen leader Inna Shevchenko wrote on Twitter: “FEMEN activists ‘welcomed’ the cortege of @realDonaldTrump twice on his way to Arc de Triumph.”

The incident is likely to raise questions about security lapses at the event.

Most of the world leaders attending the Armistice Day ceremony in Paris were transported to the site in buses.

Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin chose not to ride on the buses. The White House says Trump’s arrival was dictated by “security protocols.”

 

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


Centenary of End of WWI Marked with Paris Ceremony

At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month — precisely 100 years after fighting halted in the first world war — leaders from 70 nations gathered at the Arc de Triomphe to remember the millions who died in the conflict.

French President Emmanuel Macron and leaders from the majority of countries that sent troops or workers to the Western Front, met at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier under the arch to light the eternal flame that is rekindled every night at the memorial engraved with the words: “Here rests a French soldier who died for the nation.”

In his address Macron spoke about the sacrifices of lives made a century ago in the four years of carnage in Europe.  He said “Patriotism is the exact opposite of nationalism. Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism.”

U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin were the last to arrive.

The ceremony, under rainy skies, also features cellist Yo-Yo Ma, singer Angelique Kidjo of the African nation of Benin and a bugler to break the minute of silence for remembrance.

No soldier from the war is known to still be alive but their voices are present through high school students here reading their letters written at the front on this day a century ago.

U.S. Army Capt. Charles Normington wrote that “each soldier had his arms full of French girls, some crying, others laughing; each girl had to kiss every soldier before she would let him pass. There is nowhere on earth I would rather be.”

“Finally, the whir of the shells and the whistling of the bullets are over,” wrote French infantryman Alfred Roumiguieres.

“Today has been perfectly wonderful,” Charles Neville, a British officer, wrote to his parents. “We got news of the armistice at 9:30 this morning.”

The war’s four years of carnage was intended – as the British and Americans idealistically insisted — to be the “war to end all wars.” But little more than 20 years later global conflict would again erupt with casualties on an unprecedented scale.

Trump cancels cemetery visit

Trump canceled a visit to an American cemetery outside Paris Saturday.

A White House statement said the president’s visit was canceled because of scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather.

An American delegation led by Chief of Staff General John Kelly and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joe Dunford did visit the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial under gray skies and drizzle, paying respect to the nearly 2,300 war dead buried there.

The area was the site of the Battle of Belleau Wood in June of 1918. In addition to the 2,288 graves of American soldiers, the cemetery contains a memorial to 1,060 service members who went missing in action.

Trump was criticized on social media for remaining in Paris during the afternoon with no other scheduled events, as images were broadcast of French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel holding hands at the site in the Compiegne Forest, north of the capital, where allies and defeated Germans signed the agreement that ended the war.

Some former U.S. officials suggested Trump could have visited the cemetery if he really desired.

“There is always a rain option. Always,” wrote on Twitter Ben Rhodes, the deputy national security adviser under President Barack Obama, who explained he helped plan such foreign visits during the two terms of Trump’s predecessor.

Tense start

Earlier Saturday, Trump and Macron discussed their differences about European security. The meeting came soon after Donald Trump arrived in Paris and criticized his host via Twitter, calling Macron’s support for a European military force “very insulting.”

In the touchdown tweet, Trump suggested Europe first pay “its fair share” of NATO before contemplating a Europe-wide force.

As they began their meeting Saturday morning at the Elysee Palace, the U.S. president again called for better burden sharing for the cost of defending Europe.

“We want a strong Europe,” said Trump.

Macron replied: “I do believe we need more European capacities, more European defense.”

Trump and Macron avoided any criticism of each other in front of the media.

Macron, during a visit to the World War One Western Front at Verdun, told Europe 1 radio that in face of a revived threat from Moscow that Europe needed to “defend itself better alone” and Europeans cannot protect themselves without a “true European army.”

Macron, in the interview, also blasted Trump’s recent announcement that Washington will withdraw from the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty) limiting nuclear weapons that U.S. President Ronald Reagan and the Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev agreed to.

The “main victim” of the withdrawal, Macron argued, is “Europe and its security.”

French officials, however, say — without elaborating — there was a misunderstanding by Trump about Macron’s comments, noting the U.S. president told his French counterpart in their Saturday meeting: “I think we are much closer than it seems.”

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


Бокс: Белью оголосив про завершення кар’єри після поразки від Усика

«Я програв кращому бійцю, найкращому, з ким я будь-коли ділив ринг. І я бажаю йому всього найкращого» – Тоні Белью

Він додав, що для нього остання поразка – це кінець.

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


World Leaders Gather in Paris a Century After WWI Armistice

Commemorations are underway around the world to mark the moment 100 years ago when the slaughter of World War I finally stopped.

France, the epicenter of the first global conflict, was hosting the main international commemoration, pressing home the point that the world mustn’t stumble into war again, as it did so quickly and catastrophically with World War II

 

The more than 60 world leaders scheduled to gather at precisely 11 a.m., a century after the cease-fire, included those with the power to destroy humanity if it ever stumbled into the folly of a World War III.

 

The U.S. and Russian presidents were being joined by an array of leaders whose geographical spread showed how the “war to end all wars” left few corners of the globe untouched.

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


WTA: Світоліну визнали найкращою тенісисткою жовтня

Українська тенісистка Еліна Світоліна визнана найкращим гравцем місяця за версією Жіночої тенісної асоціації та вболівальників. Про це повідомляється на сайті WTA.

У голосуванні вболівальників Світоліна обійшла Аріну Соболенко, Каролін Возняцкі та Слоан Стівенс.

Після перемоги на Підсумковому турнірі WTA у Сінгапурі українка займає четверту сходинку світового рейтингу.

Наступний сезон тенісистка почне з новим головним тренером – Енді Беттлсом. Раніше британець був спаринг-партнером українки і супроводжував її в турі. За словами Світоліної, уся її команда базуватиметься у Лондоні.

Більше цікавих новин, які не потрапили на сайт, – у Telegram-каналі Радіо Свобода. Долучайтеся!

$1*/ mo hosting! Get going with us!


Report: Russian Charged by US Seen at Libya Military Meeting

A Russian newspaper says video released by the self-styled Libyan National Army shows a businessman allegedly linked to a private contractor that sent mercenaries to Syria at a meeting with the head of the Libyan army and top Russian military officials.

 

Novaya Gazeta reported Friday that a man seen wearing civilian dress at the meeting was Yevgeny Prigozhin. The Moscow meeting included Libyan National Army head Khalifa Hifter, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Gen. Valery Gerasimov, chief of staff of Russia’s armed forces.

 

Prigozhin is allegedly tied to a military contractor believed to have sent thousands of mercenaries to Syria, augmenting regular Russian troops deployed there. He also has been indicted by the United States over the alleged Russian “troll farm” accused of using social media to influence the 2016 U.S. presidential election.